As a child, Rosa González (now a Group Product Manager at eBay) would sell cassettes, setting her up for a career in Product. She highlights what seller goals are, what selling basics every product manager should be aware of, and lists three keys to solve customers’ problems.
From Cassettes to Cross-Functional Leadership: Rosa González
Rosa González Welton is a Product Leader with more than fifteen years of experience building and growing global businesses. She has wide experience with Marketplaces, eCommerce, Strategic Planning, Cross-Functional Leadership, Trust, Safety, Identity, Pricing, Recommendations, Data Analysis, A/B Testing, Customer Retention, Acquisition, Growth, Dashboards, and User Research.
An Approach to Offering Pricing Guidance
- Get it sold
- Make the most money
- Keep it easy
- Describe it
- Make it visible
- Price it right
Three keys to help solve your customer’s problem:
- Learn your customer’s mental model – We use different words when selling a house, a used car, or negotiating a job offer.
- Combine machine smarts with people smarts
- One size does not fit all
1. Learn your customer’s mental model
- Research findings
- Similarity matters – a lot
Sellers don’t want to leave money on the table, but they don’t want to wait too long for a sale.
2. Combine machine smarts with people smarts
- Apply Machine Learning models
- Past transaction data
- Current market pricing
- Key product aspects
- Recognize how people make decisions
- Endowment effect
- Social Proof
3. One size does not fit all
Use different proof points for hot items.