What do companies look for in a new Product Manager?
Aside from intellect, smarts, the power to adapt, think and act on their feet? They want a person who is motivated to do the job, can work with different teams and has the ability to prioritize features that they already know users are looking for. A Product Manager has to be resilient, strategic and insightful. Which means the hiring company will ask a multitude of questions to figure out if you are the one.
Here is the ultimate list of questions you can expect to be asked in a Product Management interview. Get ready to nail the interview!
List of Product Manager Interview Questions: Product Management
- What aspects of product management do you find the most exciting?
- Tell me about a time when you had to build or motivate a team.
- What do you think a day to day would be like for a product manager?
- How do you think product managers interact with engineers?
- How would you explain Product Management to a 5-year-old?
- What aspects of product management do you find the least interesting?
- Tell me about your role on your team, who else you work with, and how you work with them.
List of Product Manager Interview Questions: Behavioral
- Tell me about a challenging issue or challenge you took on
- Tell me about how you interact with customers/users?
- Talk about how you overcame product failures/challenges or poor feedback.
- Tell me about a time you had to influence someone.
- Tell me about a mistake you made and how you handled it.
- One executive says that Feature A is more important and another executive says Feature B is more important.
- How do you choose which one to implement?
- Tell me about a time you used data to make a decision.
List of Product Manager Interview Questions: Product Questions
- How do you decide what to build?
- How many people are currently online in Europe?
- How many windows are in New York City?
- How do you decide what not to build?
- What is the key to a good user interface?
- What is a product you currently use every day, why and how would you improve it?
- How do you know if a product is well designed?
- How would you redesign our ______ product?
- What is one improvement you would implement to our _______ product in the next 6 months?
- Who are our competitors?
- What is a major challenge our company will face in the next 12-24 months?
- How would you describe our product to someone?
- Suggest a new feature for Amazon. What metrics would you use to measure its success?
- What metrics do you think would be important for us to track?
- What has made _____ product successful? (might be the company’s product or another popular mainstream product)
- What do you dislike about our ______ product?
- How do you know when to cut corners to get a product out the door?
- How many iPads are sold in the U.S. every year?
- How would you prioritize features?
- How do you think we came up with the price for _____ product?
- Tell me about a company that has great customer service, what they do and why do they do it well?
List of Product Manager Interview Questions: Leadership and Communication
- Is consensus always a good thing?
- What’s the best way to work with executives?
- What is the best way to work with customers and users?
- What kinds of people do you like to work with?
- What kind of people do you have a hard time working with?
- What would you do to get a team to stick to a schedule?
- What’s the difference between leadership and management?
List of Product Manager Interview Questions: General / Personal / Basic
- Why should we hire you?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What is the most difficult decision you’ve ever had to make?
- What do you need from your manager to be successful?
- How do you say no to people?
- What is one of the best ideas you’ve ever had?
- What is one of the worst ideas you’ve ever had?
List of Product Manager Interview Questions or Advice per Company
Are you looking to learn how the interview process works at a specific tech company? Check these specific resources we made for you:
- Google Product Manager Interview Questions
- Amazon Product Manager Interview Questions
- Facebook Product Manager Interview Tips
Additional Product Manager Interview Resources
- Proven Examples of Product Manager Interview Questions to Ask: We curated and listed all the questions an interviewer could ask you! But what about the questions YOU should ask during a product manager interview? Here we have listed 20 questions to ask at the end of the Product Management interview.
- The Interview Response Technique: If you are looking for a very useful preparation technique that can be deployed to emphasize your achievements in context, we recommend you to check the SAR method.
- Technical Product Manager Interview Questions: Let’s be real! You cannot be a Product Manager at Google or Apple if you lack understanding of some specific technical topics. Check out the essential technical product manager interview questions here.
Books for Product Manager Interview Prep
- The Product Manager Interview 164 Actual Questions and Answers: This book will be a great resource for both budding and seasoned product managers. Lin’s book will not only provide you with good pointers for interview preparation but also help you in day to day life as a PM.
- Hired — How to Get a Great Product Job: Tailored guide-to-go for PM positions in top tech companies. As this book will show you, some of the most successful product transitions originated from people in music production or finance, with full-time jobs or with no prior experience. The collection of stories of Product Management transition will show you how it’s done.
- Decode and Conquer — Answers to Product Management Interviews: The author gives an industry insider’s perspective on how to conquer the most difficult PM interview questions. Covering frameworks for tackling product design and metrics questions, the biggest mistakes and answers to the top product manager interview questions.